ITIN for my wife in F1 visa
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

ITIN for my wife in F1 visa



I'm a green card holder and recently got married. My wife is currently under a F1 visa status, so she is not eligible for SSN. I need to get an ITIN for her, so I can be able to enroll her into my benefits at work. The next chance I will have to enroll her is in December. My understanding is that I can only apply for the ITIN when submitting my next tax return beginning of next year, Married Filing Jointly, which by that time is to late for me to have the ITIN and enroll her in my benefits.

Is there any other way to get the ITIN for her? 

2 Replies
Level 15

ITIN for my wife in F1 visa

There are three options on how to obtain an ITIN from the IRS using Form W-7, only one of the options is to send the W-7 with a filed US federal tax return.

Go to this IRS website for ITIN application information -

Level 15

ITIN for my wife in F1 visa

IRS website for Taxpayer Assistance Center (TAC) Locations -


IRS website for Acceptance Agent Program -

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings