turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

srichy3

ITIN application for F2 dependents where F1 has only 8843 form and no tax return

Hi, I am on F1 visa and my husband on F2 visa. I had a US income which is less than 4000 USD. So do I need to file federal tax return 1040 -NR or will 8843 for both of us would do for the time being. Since I donot have a tax return, should my husband apply for ITIN. Will this be a problem while filing state tax return (married filing separately) as my husband is my dependent and doesn't have ITIN.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

ITIN application for F2 dependents where F1 has only 8843 form and no tax return

If that was your only income and it was not self employment income you would not be required to file a return. You would only file form 8843 (assuming you are in the US less than 5 calendar years). Same for your spouse. He would only file form 8843.

However, if you are required to file a state return and you are planning on filing a joint state return, you most liekly will need an ITIN for your spouse. I would call the department of revenue fr your state and ask them how to handle this situation.

In any case, you cannot use Turbotax for your tax filings as a non-resident alien.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If that was your only income and it was not self employment income you would not be required to file a return. You would only file form 8843 (assuming you are in the US less than 5 calendar years). Same for your spouse. He would only file form 8843.

However, if you are required to file a state return and you are planning on filing a joint state return, you most liekly will need an ITIN for your spouse. I would call the department of revenue fr your state and ask them how to handle this situation.

In any case, you cannot use Turbotax for your tax filings as a non-resident alien.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies