Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm under someone elses' medical plan and filing for myself this year, is there anyway I can check if the refund is correct within the health insurance part?

I'm filling separately from my parents but I'm under my moms medical plan. They would like to know if the refund I got from TurboTax is correct because I might have filed for my part of the insurance incorrectly and gotten their share as well.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

I'm under someone elses' medical plan and filing for myself this year, is there anyway I can check if the refund is correct within the health insurance part?

It sounds like your parents bought their insurance from the Healthcare Marketplace, and you had a 1095-A. (If your mom's insurance was provided by her employer, then you can ignore the rest of this answer. All you need to do is report that you were covered by insurance.)

When you share a Marketplace plan with someone else, you need to agree on your percentage of the plan. The percentage can be anything from 0-100%. Everyone on the policy needs to report the 1095-A on their tax return.

You need to enter the 1095-A exactly as printed. 

To enter all this in TurboTax: 

1.       Type "form 1095-A" in the Search box, then select Jump to form 1095-A.  

2.       When you get to Was anyone enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2016, click Yes.  

3.       Under What type of plan were you enrolled in, select Obamacare plan.  

4.       Enter the information on your 1095-A, then click Continue.    

5.       Under Do any of these situations apply, check Shared this policy with another taxpayer who is not on my taxes.  

6.       Under Since this is a shared policy, we need to know how to allocate the policy amounts.  

Enter your percentage amount in each of the three boxes for Premium, SLCSP and PTC. (Click on the screenshot below for an image.) 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

It sounds like your parents bought their insurance from the Healthcare Marketplace, and you had a 1095-A. (If your mom's insurance was provided by her employer, then you can ignore the rest of this answer. All you need to do is report that you were covered by insurance.)

When you share a Marketplace plan with someone else, you need to agree on your percentage of the plan. The percentage can be anything from 0-100%. Everyone on the policy needs to report the 1095-A on their tax return.

You need to enter the 1095-A exactly as printed. 

To enter all this in TurboTax: 

1.       Type "form 1095-A" in the Search box, then select Jump to form 1095-A.  

2.       When you get to Was anyone enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2016, click Yes.  

3.       Under What type of plan were you enrolled in, select Obamacare plan.  

4.       Enter the information on your 1095-A, then click Continue.    

5.       Under Do any of these situations apply, check Shared this policy with another taxpayer who is not on my taxes.  

6.       Under Since this is a shared policy, we need to know how to allocate the policy amounts.  

Enter your percentage amount in each of the three boxes for Premium, SLCSP and PTC. (Click on the screenshot below for an image.) 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies