turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kcozy

If I paid $15,000 cash for a car after saving for 15 years from gifts I was going to use for a big trip, the dealer sent form 8300 to gov'e, will this trigger an audit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If I paid $15,000 cash for a car after saving for 15 years from gifts I was going to use for a big trip, the dealer sent form 8300 to gov'e, will this trigger an audit?

No, the IRS does not penalize you for saving money. They only care that you report income. Gifts received are not taxable income. If applicable, the gift tax is on the giver, not the recipient.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kcozy

I wondered though would this trigger an audit.  I heard that it can since they put this form in some database to track cash amounts over 10,000.

It should not trigger an audit. If anyone would be audited it would be the business.. Realistically, the IRS does not know how you got the cash, it could be someone else lending you the money.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LouiseR

Hi, I’m a first year international student with no prior history of having a job. Will I get in trouble with the IRS if I bought a car with the $14,000 sent by my mother through my account? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies