Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zintui

It is unclear if I am required to submit estimated taxes for Virginia State taxes. It created payment stubs but how do I know if this is just suggested or mandatory?

In the instructions it just addresses the payment. I do not know if this is required and if I could be fined.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

It is unclear if I am required to submit estimated taxes for Virginia State taxes. It created payment stubs but how do I know if this is just suggested or mandatory?

The quarterly estimated tax payments DO NOT get sent to the IRS or state with your return. So they won't be expecting them. They are optional to pay. Turbo Tax is very conservative and doesn't want you to owe too much next year. They might have printed out if you got a one time large income this year. Like if you took a IRA or 401K distribution. They are just a suggestion. You can ignore them. You might want to adjust your withholding at work so you won't owe too much next year.  But if you don't have enough taxes paid like from withholding you may have a penalty.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies