Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

anisally

My son who is 21 made over 5000 wortking but he is a full time student and i pay for all his other expenses. Can i claim him as a dependent. Do I add his w-2 to my tax return. Also does he file a sepaarte tax retrurn on his income? What about his 1098. Do

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

My son who is 21 made over 5000 wortking but he is a full time student and i pay for all his other expenses. Can i claim him as a dependent. Do I add his w-2 to my tax return. Also does he file a sepaarte tax retrurn on his income? What about his 1098. Do

It depends.  If your son lived with you for 6 months and 1 day or more last year (being away at school is a temporary absence: he still is considered living with you), and he did not provide for half of his own support, then he is still your qualifying child, and you will claim him as a dependent as such.  Here is a link that further defines this:  Qualifying Child.

You never add his W-2 to your tax return.  He will file that information separately as a dependent (he still receives his personal deduction of up to $6300, so he likely has no taxable income).  In TurboTax, he will select that someone else has or will claim him on the return.

However, you will claim his school expenses to determine if you qualify for the American Opportunity or other school credits.  Here is an FAQ which provides more information on this:   https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301513

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If your son lived with you for 6 months and 1 day or more last year (being away at school is a temporary absence: he still is considered living with you), and he did not provide for half of his own support, then he is still your qualifying child, and you will claim him as a dependent as such.  Here is a link that further defines this:  Qualifying Child.

You never add his W-2 to your tax return.  He will file that information separately as a dependent (he still receives his personal deduction of up to $6300, so he likely has no taxable income).  In TurboTax, he will select that someone else has or will claim him on the return.

However, you will claim his school expenses to determine if you qualify for the American Opportunity or other school credits.  Here is an FAQ which provides more information on this:   https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301513

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies