turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My federal & state return keep getting rejected. It's because of my daughters social security number not matching the IRS records. Ive verified it and I put it in correct

Everytime I try to file, it keeps getting rejected. Why? The SSN is correct
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

My federal & state return keep getting rejected. It's because of my daughters social security number not matching the IRS records. Ive verified it and I put it in correct

It depends.  If your daughter has a double-last name, it is possible that the first last name is appearing as the middle name in the IRS' database.  If she has a double-last name, try using the second last name as her last name.

Also, make sure that the last name is spelled correctly and that her birthdate is entered exactly.

Finally, make sure the code is stating that it is a TIN mismatch and not that her SSN has been used on another return.  If all else fails, you would have to mail in your return, but usually the issue is in one of these areas.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Does she have a double middle or double last name?   
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Do you have her SS card in front of you?  The last name will appear on the second line of the card, be sure that matches what you have as her last name on the tax return.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If your daughter has a double-last name, it is possible that the first last name is appearing as the middle name in the IRS' database.  If she has a double-last name, try using the second last name as her last name.

Also, make sure that the last name is spelled correctly and that her birthdate is entered exactly.

Finally, make sure the code is stating that it is a TIN mismatch and not that her SSN has been used on another return.  If all else fails, you would have to mail in your return, but usually the issue is in one of these areas.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies