turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Isnt the taxes taken out on your paystub checks suppose to match whats on your W2?

I added up the taxes on each of my pay stubs through out the year. The total of how much taxes got taken out on my checks compared to what my W2 is saying doesn't match up. My W2 states I paid less than what I actually did. So when I went to file my taxes its saying that I owe money. Ive tried talking to my employer but they aren't much help. What would be my next steps so I can get this corrected and file my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Isnt the taxes taken out on your paystub checks suppose to match whats on your W2?

There's important information on your W-2 that may not be on your final paystub. You should enter your W-2 to complete your tax returns because your employer is supposed to send copies to the IRS and state(s). If you enter amounts from your paystubs, your tax returns will not agree to the W-2 copies the IRS and state(s) received and they may contact you for more information. If you want to understand the differences, you should re-contact your employer because they issued your paystubs and W-2.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies