June 5, 2019 3:37 PM
Yes. As a Native American (or Alaskan Native), you are eligible for the following:
- Federal income taxes are not levied on income from trust lands held for Native Americans by the U.S.
- State income taxes are not paid on income earned on a federal Indian reservation.
- State sales taxes are not paid by Indians on transactions made on a federal Indian reservation.
- Local property taxes are not paid on reservation or trust land.
Here are the instructions on how to report the State Income Tax wage exemption in TurboTax:
- When you finish the Federal Taxes section, click State Taxes in the TurboTax header.
- Begin the state tax return interview.
- Continue to the page titled "Here's the income that XXXX handles differently"
- Click Start/Revisit beside "Tribal Income"
- Choose your Tribe Name and enter the amount of tribal income to exclude. See the blue link "nonbusiness tribal income" for help.
- If your tribe is NOT on the drop-down list, it may not have a tax agreement with your State. Contact your local tribe representative for more info.
- Complete the state interview to save your entries.