Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a way to recalculate my 2023 taxes? I claimed a tax credit that I was not supposed to claim. I would like to run the taxes again removing that credit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Is there a way to recalculate my 2023 taxes? I claimed a tax credit that I was not supposed to claim. I would like to run the taxes again removing that credit.

Did you e-file already?  If you have not e-filed you can make changes to the return.  We need to know what credit you are asking about to help you navigate to it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

if you filed, you start with the amended return option, delete the credit and related forms depending on where it was entered.   do not file an amended return until the original is fully processed. filing an amended return too soon can delay a refund for 4 to 5 months.

if you haven't filled delete the entry that created the credit and the related worksheets and forms

Note certain but other steps may be needed to clear out the credit. This depends on what the credit was for/

I e-filed and the return was accepted.  It appears I claimed a senior deduction that I was not eligible to claim.  I received a letter from the WV Tax Department.  I went online to review my account and the numbers there do not match those on the letter.  My question was whether I could rerun the numbers, remove the incorrect deduction, and recalculate my taxes.  Thanks so much for the replies. 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If the State of West Virginia automatically recalculated and adjusted your return without the credit, this may be why the amounts on your WV online account do not match your tax documents. 

Per the state's website, however,  you must file a West Virginia amended return if any of the following conditions occur:

• To correct a previously filed return; or
  • You filed an amended federal income tax return and that change affected your West Virginia tax liability; or
  • The Internal Revenue Service made any changes to your federal return (i.e., change in federal adjusted gross income, change in exemptions, etc.).

Since you need to amend your return, you can do so by following the instructions on the page How do I amend my state tax return? Once you remove the credit you were ineligible for, your taxes will be recalculated and your amended IT-140 should reflect the numbers that agree with your WV online account. 

@mgrlvr 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies