s_bedford

Is there a way to force using the Schedule A (if the deductions on it are less than $24,000)? It's possible what I'd lose on the federal taxes I'd regain on my State.

JulieR

TurboTax allows you to take Standard Deduction for your Federal Return and elect to itemize your deductions on your state return if your state allows you to make this election. You do not tell me what state you will file in so you will need to look at your state's income tax rules to see if your state allows this election.

s_bedford

I live in Virginia, so if Turbo Tax won't let me Itemize on the Federal forms, I can't Itemize on the State forms.  But I owe Virginia $$$$$$$, so I'd like to see if itemizing would help.
macuser_22

You can check the actual amount of itemized deductions by using the Search Topics for "itemized deductions, choosing" (under "My Account, Tools" in the online versions).    Click on "Change my deduction". That will display the actual amount of itemized deductions vs. the standard deduction.    (Be sure to uncheck "Change my deduction" after checking it so you do not lock in the wrong deduction.
s_bedford

thank you so much!
JulieR

russkimb

Same question for the State of Alabama.  Turbo Tax recommends use of Standard Deduction; however, it’s more beneficial to itemize for Alabama return. Alabama require filing with copy of Schedule A of Federal return.