turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a way to force using the Schedule A (if the deductions on it are less than $24,000)? It's possible what I'd lose on the federal taxes I'd regain on my State.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Is there a way to force using the Schedule A (if the deductions on it are less than $24,000)? It's possible what I'd lose on the federal taxes I'd regain on my State.

TurboTax allows you to take Standard Deduction for your Federal Return and elect to itemize your deductions on your state return if your state allows you to make this election. You do not tell me what state you will file in so you will need to look at your state's income tax rules to see if your state allows this election.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

I live in Virginia, so if Turbo Tax won't let me Itemize on the Federal forms, I can't Itemize on the State forms.  But I owe Virginia $$$$$$$, so I'd like to see if itemizing would help.

You can check the actual amount of itemized deductions by using the Search Topics for "itemized deductions, choosing" (under "My Account, Tools" in the online versions).    Click on "Change my deduction". That will display the actual amount of itemized deductions vs. the standard deduction.    (Be sure to uncheck "Change my deduction" after checking it so you do not lock in the wrong deduction.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

thank you so much!
JulieR
Expert Alumni

TurboTax allows you to take Standard Deduction for your Federal Return and elect to itemize your deductions on your state return if your state allows you to make this election. You do not tell me what state you will file in so you will need to look at your state's income tax rules to see if your state allows this election.

russkimb

Same question for the State of Alabama.  Turbo Tax recommends use of Standard Deduction; however, it’s more beneficial to itemize for Alabama return. Alabama require filing with copy of Schedule A of Federal return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies