Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Is there a way to bypass SmartCheck errors? SmartCheck displays "Gross Sales Price shouldn't be less than zero", but this is how it is in 1099-B?

Thank you for your assistance and patience as we researched a resolution for this experience. Our tech support team is implementing an update that will be released Friday, April 15, 2022.

On or after that date, please start TurboTax (agree to all updates if requested), open your return, and run both Federal and State reviews again. If you are prompted for additional actions, please follow those instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Wow1

Is there a way to bypass SmartCheck errors? SmartCheck displays "Gross Sales Price shouldn't be less than zero", but this is how it is in 1099-B?

April 15th is cutting it close!!

This has been an issue for years.

Please post here with confirmation the fix is in the release.

Thanks.

rksusarla

Thanks PatriciaV! I followed your tip "enter zero for the sales proceeds and a positive number in the Cost/Basis box equal to the reported proceeds" and was able to successfully resolve the issue. It would be great if the software is updated to handle this automatically than for us to google and find it.

I waited for the update that was mentioned in this post  it was supposed to be available April 15. 

This evening (April 17) I opened TurboTax and attempted to file my Fed and State returns. 

My federal return went through, with some difficulty.  (MUST you make me go through SmartCheck multiple times and click on every single negative option transaction EVERY TIME?  That's a LOT of clicking.)   

My state return (Mass) would not go through.  I went through the final check, paid $25 and pushed the "Transmit Returns" button.  Thought I was in the clear... but no....  I got bounced to a "We need to make one more check now" screen.  This takes you back to the SmartCheck screens that recommend you modify your imported data.  (No,  I do not want to edit or otherwise mess around with data that is reported to the IRS. )  And it never lets you out of that loop.  

I am now stuck and will have to file for a state extension.   Disappointed to see this problem crop up yet again this year after hearing a fix was coming. 

Was the fix referenced in the April 7 posting (summarized below) released?   If yes, any idea why it is not working for my Mass State return?

"PatriciaV (Employee Tax Expert) posted a new reply in Get your taxes done using TurboTax on April 7, 2022 10:47 AM:"

"Our tech support team is implementing an update that will be released Friday, April 15, 2022.

On or after that date, please start TurboTax (agree to all updates if requested), open your return, and run both Federal and State reviews again. If you are prompted for additional actions, please follow those instructions."

How is this still not fixed?! so angry right now

That's really disappointing especially since the update should have fixed this.

I have to file in MA as well and did the workaround with manually overriding/overtyping the entries. I was initially very sceptical but did not want to wait for the update and had about 15 transaction to change manually.

All in, it worked like a charm and I was able to file IRS and MA returns. Both returns were accepted and processed and I even have the refunds already in my account. 

That may or may not help your situation, just wanted to share my experience.

Maybe just overriding the numbers for MA is a solution - if you can go back and change the Sched D after filing Federal return already.

Good luck. 

Wow1

TurboTax Support,

Please provide an update.

Community members, what do you think of printing return as is with negative schedule B numbers and mailing in return?

Thanks.

If you owe money, that is an option.

If you're expecting a refund, I personally would not mail. Processing of paper returns is a nightmare...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies