turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a Linux compatible TurboTax version?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

23 Replies
ErinH
Intuit Alumni

No. At this time TurboTax does not offer a desktop product that is formatted for Linux. However, you can use the Online product offerings. You can review those here: https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

Intuit needs to get into the current millennium and provide a Linux version of their offerings.  I for one do not trust putting all of my personal data on servers in the cloud, most especially my financial information.  Add to that the fact that the MS version of the app first requires I update Win10 to current status, which always takes at least a day courtesy of MS's botched update processes, and I wind up eating more time than it's worth to follow their outdated offerings.  This will probably be my last year with Intuit - the pain involved with using them just isn't worth it anymore...

No, but you can install vmware on linux, then install windows under vmware, then run turbotax on the vmware windows client. Linux is free, and vmware is free as long as you are using it as a private individual, and not on the job.

Turbotax is the _only_ reason that I have a vmware windows client, and I wish Intuit would get their act together and create a linux app. With the demise of Windows 7, it's clear that windows' days are numbered. Microsoft has even created an environment to run linux on windows (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10).

B2020B

And pay $20 for each return filed online, no thanks.

B2020B

I agree, there must be a Linux version.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

The downloadable version of Turbo Tax only works on Windows or Mac OS. You can however complete your return online using a web browser.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Travis14

No it does not.  Try to do it online and it tells you that it doesn't support Chromium and wants you to download a windows browser

ashralis

Why is the online version so much more expensive than the local version? I can easily get the local version for $45 with one state included, but the online version is $60 + $50 for one state. I would use the online version but for it being 240%+ more expensive...  Ubuntu 20 launched today, I've been using beta for a few weeks, very notable UI and speed improvement over 18, and notably faster than Windows 10 now. FreeRDP works better than Windows Remote Desktop too... Ditching my dual boot very soon.

I'm running ubuntu 18.04 LTS, with vmware installed, and run windows 10 under vmware. Then I do taxes in the vmware windows client (that's the _only_ reason I have a vmware windows client).

You can also do taxes online, but I've never been sure that I would be able to run the online version for older tax years later on, so I keep all the old turbotax versions.

You could probably spoof online turbotax into thinking it was on windows by switch the user-agent string in chrome: google "spoof chrome windows" or "How To Change User Agent in Google Chrome".

Please have your TurboTax Desktop version compatible with Linux for 2020.  Many users are switching.  With Linux all upgrades are free and never have to reload programs or files on upgrades.

Thank you,

Larry Brewer

I have used TurboTax for years because it takes all of my investment and retirement information and puts it on the correct form. That saves me a lot of time.  If I could be sure my information is kept private, I could do it online. Again the cost to do it online compared with purchasing the packet makes a enough difference.

DMuser

Intuit needs to get with the times. Using a SaaS solution for filing taxes is a huge security risk. Intuit is no equifax and the last thing you want is all of your financial and personal information being hacked. It should be law that tax software must be desktop software.... now also, where is the ubuntu version of turbotax!?? its not 2010 anymore!

kenjohn19

Really need to up your game, with flatpac you can develop one Linux version that works on over 20 different Linux distos.  Can't be that difficult to go from a Mac version to Linux.  So, disappointed at the lack of vision by Intuit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies