Is there a glitch in your efile system? My tax ret...

bjlange

Is there a glitch in your efile system? My tax return was rejected due to AGI not matching 2019 return. However the amount was exactly the same as my records showed.

Will you have someone call me xxx xxx-xxxx so I can discuss what to do if the IRS lost my income tax return?
mesquitebean

@ bjlange wrote:
Will you have someone call me [removed] so I can discuss what to do if the IRS lost my income tax return?

This is a public user community forum.  You should not post personal info in this public Internet forum.  No telling who could phone you and pretend to be from TurboTax.  Luckily, it looks like the forum privacy filter redacted your phone number, at least from what displays to me.   You can edit your question to remove it by clicking the tiny blue 3-dot icon just to the right of your question.

TurboTax Support will not phone you from the user forum.   Moreover, the Free Edition does not have phone support unless upgraded to PLUS for 29.99.  There is free support through TurboTax social media Twitter and Facebook we can tell you about.  But Support is probably not who you need to be talking to yet.   

What do you mean by if the IRS "lost" your income tax return?    What's the story on that, and what tax year does that refer to?   Does that refer to a 2019 return??   What makes you think it may have been lost?  But do NOT post any personal info in this public forum.

• An AGI rejection comes from the IRS, not from TurboTax.  
  • Approximately when did you file the 2019 return?  i.e., did you file it in the normal time frame, or did you file real late in the year?
  • Did you efile, or did you print and mail a paper return?   
  • If you filed real late in the year, such as after mid-November 2020, then try using a 2019 AGI of 0.   
  • Or if your 2019 return was held up for months (or if it's still held up) in processing at the IRS (especially if you filed on paper), you can try a 2019 AGI of 0.

Be sure you are using the 2019 AGI from an original return--not an amended one.  If the IRS has completely finished processing your 2019 return, you could download a free 2019 tax return transcript and check the 2019 AGI figure they show for you.  But again, if the IRS finished processing it after November 2020, it may still not work even if it shows it.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

If it's a joint return, both spouses use the same total 2019 AGI.  Do not divide or otherwise allocate it.

In any case, before giving up always try a 2019 AGI of 0 as a last resort--just in case.

As for your other question  "if the IRS lost my income tax return", you'll need to explain in full what that means and why you think that, but do not post any personal info in this public user community.  And is that referring to your 2019 return?

mesquitebean

@ bjlange 

See the info I left you above about the 2019 AGI, and how to use a 2019 AGI of 0 if the IRS was months late in processing your return, or if they haven't finished processing it.

You wrote:  "....what to do if the IRS lost my income tax return."

Is it your 2019 return that you think the IRS may have "lost?"   What makes you think that?  Were you due a Federal refund that you haven't yet received?    The IRS is months behind on some 2019 returns.  We can tell you how to talk to a live IRS agent.  But here's something to check first:

Are you sure you successfully filed the 2019 return?   Did you efile it, or did you print and mail a paper return in postal mail? 

If you used Online TurboTax to prepare the 2019 return, log into your Online account and at the Tax Home scroll down to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents."  Expand that section and choose tax year 2019.    What term is used for the status of the 2019 return--which of these:  accepted, rejected, printed, started, or what?