turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is their a way to get proof of my numerous rejections to file for my 2017 taxes on here?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Is their a way to get proof of my numerous rejections to file for my 2017 taxes on here?

No - the reject comes form the IRS and nobody keeps them.   Your proof of a reject would be the reject e-mail you received shortly after filing.

If you have not yet filed 2017 then the reason for reject is probably moot anyway since 2017 can only be filed by mail now - rejects are only for e-filing and 2017 can not be e-filed any more.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

What do you need them for?  Did you ever get 2017 filed?  If it kept rejecting you should have stopped trying to efile and print and mail it. 

It's now filed and done. The IRS may need proof of the rejection because I filed late. They're trying to charge me late fees for something I had no control over

Because I may need proof that I tried to file them at the proper time. There was a mixup with my name which shouldn't have happened. They're now trying to wrongfully charge me late fees.

Did you have a tax due on it?  The tax due payment was due by April 17 even if you filed the return late.  You could have paid on time directly on the IRS website or mailed in a check with the 1040V voucher.

And as for the return, as I said you should have given up and mailed it. They only give you a few days after the due date to fix a rejected return to be timely filed.

@tavinwallack24 wrote:
Because I may need proof that I tried to file them at the proper time. There was a mixup with my name which shouldn't have happened. They're now trying to wrongfully charge me late fees.

It is way too late for that.   If it rejected in 2017, by the due date, you had 5 days to either correct it and file again or mail your return.    If you owed, then late fees started at that time.   Your proof of reject became meaningless 5 days after the 2017 due date.      If you owed tax as of April 18, 2018 and did not correct the reject and refile or mail  by April 23, then you owe late fees and interest starting as of April 18, 2018.

They are not wrongfully charging you - that is the law - the sooner you pay the sooner fees will stop.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Ive never had any issues until now. I wasnt aware that you could just send a payment without all the other forms in your return.

But mailing in my return would have just gotten rejected as well because there was a issue with my name which never was a problem in the past.
Even the ppl at the tax place had to jump through hoops to resolve it.

@tavinwallack24 wrote:

But mailing in my return would have just gotten rejected as well because there was a issue with my name which never was a problem in the past.
Even the ppl at the tax place had to jump through hoops to resolve it.

A mailed return cannot "reject".  The IRS might sent it back if it was not signed.

The IRS might question it, but only e-filed return can reject.

We have no way to know what the issue with your name might be, but unfortunately if you owed and did not file or pay in time, you will owe the penalty.

Name/SSN mismatch rejects are often a problem with the Social Security Administration database or an error in the IRS database.   Mailed returns do not use those databases so cannot reject for that reason.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies