turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is the IRS system back up yet? and if not do you know when it will be back up?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

WASHINGTON - The IRS stopped accepting electronically filed tax returns Wednesday because of problems with some of its computer systems. The outage could affect refunds, but the agency said it doesn't anticipate "major disruptions."

A "hardware failure" forced the shutdown of several tax processing systems, including the e-file system, the IRS said in a statement. The IRS.gov website remains available, but "where's my refund" and other services are not working.
Some systems will be out of service at least until Thursday, the agency said. "The IRS is currently in the process of making repairs and working to restore normal operations as soon as possible," the IRS said.
Taxpayers can continue to send electronic returns to companies that serve as middlemen between taxpayers and the IRS. But those companies have to hold on to the tax returns until the IRS systems are up and running again, the IRS said.
While the IRS said it is still assessing the scope of the outage, it expects 90 percent of taxpayers will receive refunds within three weeks.
People who have already filed returns don't need to do anything more, the IRS said.

Twenty-four hours after first announcing that several of its tax processing systems and tools went down, the IRS said Thursday (February 4) ts programs were back up and running.

"Our processing systems are back in business. Taxpayers should see little, if any, impact on their tax returns or refunds," the agency said. "We apologize for the inconvenience this caused." 

The IRS has said it still expects to issue 9 out 10 refunds within 21 days of receiving a tax filer's return.

rmikelevy

Was down last night (Feb 3rd) but was back up this morning (Feb 4th)

Is the system down?.... does anyone know how soon returns are going out for DD?

I've already filed, I filed on the 23rd. So i was just curious if they were back up and doing refunds again.

1secoria

I wanted to know if the system was back up and running I was unable to file because of that wrong reason

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

@1secoria You are responding to an older thread. What issues are you having when you try to file? Can you elaborate on the message you received?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies