Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

is Now too Late to file tax for 2021? - Feb 2023

Dear Community,

I recently lived in USA started back in July 2021, however i did not file tax return as i have no income nor received any benefits, Bank Interest, etc as there is no tax duty at all.

My understanding is that it is not needed to file tax and most of state do not consider you as resident unless you have lived there for 9 months or so (In my case was 6 months in CA)

Questions:

1. Is it too late to file a tax for 2021 if i want to?

2. Are there any benefits of doing so (or not doing so)

Thank you and god bless you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You may be eligible to get the recovery rebate credit for the 3rd EIP payment.  You can file a 2021 return and use the recovery rebate credit to get the $1400 credit if you did not already receive it.  Many people with Social Security numbers received the stimulus check automatically but if you did not get it, you can claim it on a 2021 return.

The recovery rebate credit is in Federal Review on the 2021 return.  A 2021 return can only be filed by mail.

Online preparation and e-filing for 2019 and 2020 and 2021 is permanently closed.

To file a return for a prior tax year

If you need to prepare a return for 2019, 2020 or 2021 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

You may also want to explore purchasing the software from various retailers such as Amazon, Costco, Best Buy, Walmart, Sam’s, etc.

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0... 

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

No that federal stimulus check cannot affect your eligibility for medical coverage.  It is not taxable income.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

16 Replies

It is not clear at all whether you need to file a return, or if you can use TurboTax even if you need to.   If you had no income in 2021 you have nothing to enter on a 2021 tax return.

Are you a non-resident alien?   

NON RESIDENT ALIEN  

If you are a non-resident alien, your return must be filed on Form 1040NR, which cannot be prepared using TurboTax.  You can use TT’s partner, sprintax:

https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

Thanks @xmasbaby0  for taking time.

Regards to if NON RESIDENT ALIEN  

Answer: No, I am greencard holder retired person entered US in July 2021, dont have income and no tax implications.  Just wondering if pros/cons on filing tax for 2021 (as it is late and I am not clear how)

Thanks

Do you have a Social Security number?

@xmasbaby0 

Yes SSN, but no job, no income, retired

You may be eligible to get the recovery rebate credit for the 3rd EIP payment.  You can file a 2021 return and use the recovery rebate credit to get the $1400 credit if you did not already receive it.  Many people with Social Security numbers received the stimulus check automatically but if you did not get it, you can claim it on a 2021 return.

The recovery rebate credit is in Federal Review on the 2021 return.  A 2021 return can only be filed by mail.

Online preparation and e-filing for 2019 and 2020 and 2021 is permanently closed.

If you need to prepare a return for 2019, 2020 or 2021 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

You may also want to explore purchasing the software from various retailers such as Amazon, Costco, Best Buy, Walmart, Sam’s, etc.

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0... 

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device.

Thank you @xmasbaby0 

You can file a 2021 return and use the recovery rebate credit to get the $1400 credit if you did not already receive it"

I did not receive any credit as i never ever filed tax return, not even the year when i entered (July 2021).  

Question: About this rebate credit, does it impact my eligibility for State Medical coverage?  I am at CA and currently using Medi-Cali, I would prefer to keep my medical coverage rather than risking getting credit and potentially lose the eligibility for free medical coverage

Thank you and god bless you

No that federal stimulus check cannot affect your eligibility for medical coverage.  It is not taxable income.

Thank you for the note, i will give it a try

@xmasbaby0 

Another question... regards to 3rd EIP payment, sounds like there was 2nd and 1st EIP payment happened in 2020?

Am I eligible for these payments?  I was green card holder since 2019 before pandemic starts and did not file tax return for 2020 neither.  Wonder if I am still eligible and if there is any concern of doing so, claiming these credits, etc

Also, if i lived in two different addresses during 2020, 2021, and now a new address in 2022.  Does that matter when i file the tax return for prior tax years as the address is different than my current one.  (Different Country too, say LA vs SJC)

2020 - address_1

2021 - address_2

2022 - address_3

Thank you and wish you a beautiful day !

@xmasbaby0  can you please help me to understand the implication of file tax on 2020 (for 1st and 2nd payments) and address implication where i lived at three different addresses (3 different country too)

Thanks

If you are going to file a tax return you need to use your current address on it ---not a past address.   The IRS has to have your current mailing address in order to mail you letters or a refund.

If you want/need to file a 2020 return:

Thank you @xmasbaby0 

I will use TurboTax Desktop

@xmasbaby0 

What about if i previously lived in a different state?

Say 2019, 2018, etc.  If i need to file tax return for the first time ever, the State in this case should be the previous resident State?

Thanks

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

In this case - because you have no income and no deductions - you do not need to file a state return at all.

You are only filing the federal returns for 2020 and 2021 to receive the recovery rebate credits.  You will have all zeros on your return except for the amount for those credits.  That's all you'll need.

Use your current address.

@cassandra168 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies