Ask the Experts about self-employment >> Event happening NOW!
dm1726653

Is it possible to choose the amount I wish to pay for my California Tax Due (this is in regards to the Shared Responsibility penalty) before I e-file?

I was able to do this with taxslayer a couple of years ago, but I am unsure if this is a program limitation, if I'm just not seeing the option, or if CA law requires the penalty to be paid in full at the time of filing for tax year 2020.

fanfare

If you say "I'll mail a check", TurboTax will be satisfied,

After that you can pay any amount on IRS website at

www.irs.gov/payments
OR write a check for the amount you want to pay.

fanfare

you can pay any amount, but if it is not the full amount,

you will pay late penalties and interest,

If you apply for an installment loan and are approved, you will still pay interest.

dm1726653

Where am I able to choose the amount I pay?

Turbotax allows me to choose either direct debit from bank account or pay by check. I selected bank account and all there is to fill out is date of payment and bank account info.

fanfare

www.irs.gov/payments