Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it okay if my son’s dad documents in his taxes that he has a child (I claimed our son on mine through agreement)? We aren’t married.

I’m told that he won’t be getting the credit since our son has been claimed by me and his return won’t be rejected (this was more of my concern than the credit itself); that it’s better for the irs to see he has a dependent so in the future if he claims our son, they won’t question it. I’m just a little confused. Could someone enlighten me a bit?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Is it okay if my son’s dad documents in his taxes that he has a child (I claimed our son on mine through agreement)? We aren’t married.

If all of your are living together as a family----and that is what it sounds like in your post -----the child's Social Security number can only be used on ONE of your tax returns---not on both.   If you already claimed the child, then the child's father should just file Single and not enter anything about the child on his own tax return.  Using the child's SSN will cause his e-file to be rejected.   It has already gone into the system when you used it.

The IRS does not need to "see" that he has a son.   The IRS knows that children can have two parents.   Sometimes divorced or never married parents who do not live together  have a signed agreement and there is a "custodial" parent and a "non-custodial" parent who share the child credits.  That does not sound like your situation, so you would not both enter information about the child or an "agreement."

If that is incorrect, and you and the other parent do live apart, then post back for further help.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies