Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jncbear99

Is it acceptable to make my non dep 22yo with a substantially lower income 100% responsible for the shared marketplace policy that he is listed on with my husband and I?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Is it acceptable to make my non dep 22yo with a substantially lower income 100% responsible for the shared marketplace policy that he is listed on with my husband and I?

Yes, it is acceptable to allocate 100% of the policy to your lower income dependent. In fact, this is the most tax efficient allocation if you all agree.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Yes, it is acceptable to allocate 100% of the policy to your lower income dependent. In fact, this is the most tax efficient allocation if you all agree.

jncbear99

I was just concerned as it makes a significant difference in tax responsibility for both of us to our advantage of course.  Do you know if this flags for review since I was the one who applied, not my son.  Is this just something that is available due to loose wording in the tax law?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

The tax law allows to allocate whatever percentages you agree upon to each taxpayer when you share a Marketplace policy. Allocating the policy to the lowest earner will give you the highest premium tax credit.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies