Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS reduced my refund by 15,000 dollars!

How do I reach a real person AFTER taxes are filed? I've spent hours going around and around on the website and the app, trying to figure out how to get help. After an hour on hold, the person I reached told me to call the same number(!) and ask for billing, which isn't even an option! I'm so frustrated. This may be my last year of using TT, after doing so since 2017.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Normally the IRS will send a letter explaining any adjustment in tax liability. 

Thanks but I want INTUIT to check my **bleep** return and tell me where they screwed up! How do I speak to a real person AFTER filing?? No way to request live assistance!!

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Without the IRS notice that explains the changes they made, no one at Intuit will be able to explain the adjustment.     See Topic 152  TurboTax has an accuracy guarantee.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Check each line on your return.  That would be a  big refund.  Like if you entered y our withholding wrong from W2 box 2  or a 1099 box 4.  Check withholding on 1040 line 25a & b.  Do they match your W2s and 1099s?  

Other things to check Like is the difference the same or close to the refund you got last year? Maybe you put down that you applied last year's refund to this year? Or you applied part of your refund to next year as an estimated payment. Or you put down you made a payment with an extension or paid an estimated payment that you didn't make?

oookkkkaaaaay; and if they put numbers in the wrong places, for example, does that count?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

What do you mean by the wrong place?   You have to enter all of your tax data and review your returns before filing; it is do-it-yourself tax software.    If you pay an IRS or state penalty or interest because of a TurboTax calculation error, we'll pay you the penalty and interest.   

You can read the fine print at the Intuit Software End User License Agreement for TurboTax Desktop Software or the End User License Agreement for TurboTax Online. Enter accurate calculation in the Find feature in your browser (usually listed under Edit) to go to it quickly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies