turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS mind boggling load of paperwork

I just had one careless mistake in filing tax return. My kid forgot to check the box "SOME ELSE CAN CLAIM ME AS DEPENDENT". And to fix this problem.... to amend the return by 1040X... it is a huge drama!!

Original claim was filed using free online version of TT.

I use TT Premiere and it claims to be able to help file amend even if the return was not filed via TT ...but it cant seem to figure it out. 

IRS form 1040x comes with 20 page instructions that wants you to fill everything with information that does not exist!! I just need to make minor change.... i think i will just ignore and let IRS call on.

Have anyone used 1040x multiple times and can give some recommendations? than kyou

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Since you did not file your original return with TurboTax, in order to amend your return with TurboTax you need to enter all your original information into the program exactly as it was when you first filed the return (mistake & all).  Then you need to "trick" the program into thinking you filed the return, by choosing to file by mail. Save your return.

Once that is done, start the program & then choose to amend your return.  Amended returns must be mailed.  

How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

------------------------

As far as the 1040-X form, if you enter the information manually, Column A you enter all your numbers reported on your original return, Column B enter any amounts that changed (increased or decreased), the Column C is just the difference between A & B

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Since you did not file your original return with TurboTax, in order to amend your return with TurboTax you need to enter all your original information into the program exactly as it was when you first filed the return (mistake & all).  Then you need to "trick" the program into thinking you filed the return, by choosing to file by mail. Save your return.

Once that is done, start the program & then choose to amend your return.  Amended returns must be mailed.  

How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

------------------------

As far as the 1040-X form, if you enter the information manually, Column A you enter all your numbers reported on your original return, Column B enter any amounts that changed (increased or decreased), the Column C is just the difference between A & B

That worked beautifully. Thank you so much! 

I printed multiple versions of manually prepared 1040x,and i put them all on the wall.... then I threw darts at them from different angles. That allowed me to put right numbers fairly confidently. After i ran your recommended approach, i got identical results. I will use ammended forms prepared by TT. Thank you again, now i can begin my Sunday!

Your welcome! Enjoy your Sunday!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies