Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jgabrel1
Returning Member

IRS Largely reduced my refund saying errors in Refundable Child Tax Credit, Recovery Rebate Credit

Hi Turbotax Expert,

I was rather buffaloed to receive a letter claiming my 2021 refund was "changed" and reduced by +8k.  I am left wondering how could my return pass through Turbotax reviews but then get knocked down by such a large amount.  May I please gain help with this?  I have a hard time believing they are right.  Thank you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

IRS Largely reduced my refund saying errors in Refundable Child Tax Credit, Recovery Rebate Credit

A reduction in your refund for the recovery rebate credit is most often caused by user error---when you were asked how much you received for the third stimulus check -- the one for $1400 per person sent out from March to May last year----did you enter the total amount correctly?   Did you use the amount from BOTH spouse's letters 6475?   Or did you say you did not receive the full amount and thereby put an amount on line 30 of your Form 1040?  If you received the full amount already then your line 30 should have been blank.   There should only be an amount on line 30 if you did NOT receive all of the 3rd stimulus.

Try checking your online account with the IRS

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

Does the IRS show that you received a $1400 per person stimulus or EIP check in 2021?   Did you receive it?   When you were asked on your tax return did you say no?   Was there $1400  per person on line 30 of your tax return?

If the IRS says you got $1400 last year but you did not receive it you can have it traced.

LOST THIRD STIMULUS CHECK

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-round-economic-impact-payment-top...

If you need to trace a payment that the IRS says has been issued to you, mail or fax a completed IRS Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies