Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ira Conversion

In 2020, I converted my IRA to a ROTH IRA. I only have 1 IRA. TurboTax said none of the proceeds, not just the 10% penalty, were taxable. The IRA was not inherited and no form 8606 was generated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Ira Conversion

What code is in box 7.

What is in box 2a?

Is the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box checked?

Did you it in the 1099-R section and say you "moved: the money, then did a combination if things and entered the amount converted into the lower box?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Ira Conversion

Thanks Champ for the follow-up. Here is the info:

Box 7  = 2

Box 2a = equal to box 1 (don't want to give an exact amount as that should not matter)

Ira/Sep/Simple = checked

I don't follow your question regarding "moved:". I use the desktop version of TurboTax and am not sure what you are referring to. I answered the question that I moved it to another retirement account and move all the money. Once I entered the 1099-R, turbotax said I would not be taxed on it. When I answered the questions that I oved the entire amount TT again said I owed no taxes on it.

Ira Conversion

@Confusedreturn wrote:

Thanks Champ for the follow-up. Here is the info:

Box 7  = 2

Box 2a = equal to box 1 (don't want to give an exact amount as that should not matter)

Ira/Sep/Simple = checked

I don't follow your question regarding "moved:". I use the desktop version of TurboTax and am not sure what you are referring to. I answered the question that I moved it to another retirement account and move all the money. Once I entered the 1099-R, turbotax said I would not be taxed on it. When I answered the questions that I oved the entire amount TT again said I owed no taxes on it.

Did you enter it this way?

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 10.08.19 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-03-09 at 10.08.48 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-03-09 at 10.09.13 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-03-09 at 10.09.31 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 10.12.52 PM.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Ira Conversion

The short answer is no, I did not do it that way. I have a value of 2 for Box 7 and never got the screens you listed. 

Ira Conversion

Form 1040 line 4a is fine but line 4b says rollover.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies