Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IPIN

When I signed up for an IPIN several years ago, I was told that the new IPIN would be mailed to me every year--in December or January.   Every year, the PIN is NOT mailed to me, and I have to jump through hoops to get it.  This year, I've heard the IRS will REQUIRE an ID.me account to be able to retrieve my PIN.  I don't want an ID.me account, for reasons of personal freedom and privacy.  Will, in fact, an ID.me account be required this year to retrieve our IPINs?  Is it also true that I MUST use the IPINs my husband and I are assigned/that I cannot "opt out" of using these IPINs entirely?  Is the "opt out" possibility in the pipeline?  Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

IPIN

Unfortunately, once you request an IP PIN the IRS does not have a process for you to opt-out.

IRS website for IP PIN FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/frequently-asked-questions-about-the-identity-protect...

Q4: I lost my IP PIN or I didn't receive a new one in the mail. How do I get another one?

If you're unable to retrieve your IP PIN online:

• You may call us at 800-908-4490 for specialized assistance, Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time), to have your IP PIN reissued to you. An assistor will verify your identity and mail your IP PIN to your address of record within 21 days.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies