Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

djhurlburt
Returning Member

IP PIN for dependents under 18

My federal filing was rejected because of "IND-996 - The Dependent/Qualifying Person Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) provided on the return is not valid."  I have a 17 year old and a 15 year old.

They've never needed one before. 

When we went to the IP PIN site to get one, my 17 year old jumped through the hoops and the system said she was not eligible for an IP PIN because she didn't meet the age requirement for one.

I'm not sure what to do.  There is NO WAY to get an IP PIN for a minor through the IP PIN website.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, IP PINs are issued for minors often because they are a prime target for identity theft. You are getting this e-file rejection because they already have IP PINs and you didn't provide them on the tax return.

Follow this link to retrieve their IP PINs. If you can't do it with the online tool, there are other methods your can try under Alternatives to the online tool, which is further down the page. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
djhurlburt
Returning Member

as I stated in my original post, you cannot get an IPPIN through that web link. There is no way to do it. If there is, could you please provide a step-by-step description, including links, and where to go. Because that hyperlink does not provide a means to secure an IPPIN for a minor   

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

As JulieS says, you can look under Alternatives to the online tool, further down on the page. If you have an IRS.gov account, you can request the PIN through your online account. You’ll need to verify your identity and do the same for your child to get a PIN for them.

Form 15227

Find a Taxpayer Assistance Center near you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies