Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Installment payments

I am unemployed and just discovered I owe 4000 in federal income taxes. Can I pay off in installments
1 Reply
Intuit Alumni

Installment payments

You can request an Installment Agreement, Form 9465.

If you're financially unable to pay your tax debt immediately, you can make monthly payments through an installment agreement. As long as you pay your tax debt in full, you can reduce or eliminate your payment of penalties or interest, and avoid the fee associated with setting up the agreement.

Before applying for any payment agreement, you must file all required tax returns.

You may be eligible to apply for an online payment agreement
  • Individuals must owe $50,000 or less in combined individual income tax, penalties and interest, and have filed all required returns.
  • Businesses must owe $25,000 or less in payroll taxes and have filed all required returns.
  • If you meet these requirements, you can apply for an online payment agreement.
Even if you're ineligible for an online payment agreement, you can still pay in installments

You can file a Form 9465 (Installment Agreement Request) in TurboTax  but only if you haven't filed your return yet. To get to Form 9465, go through the File section of TurboTax until you reach the screen How do you want to pay your federal taxes? (You won't see this screen if you owe $0 or are getting a refund.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings