Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Installing TurboTax 2021 deleted the.tax2020 file (?)

@ptalbot10 Are you saying the prior programs disappeared or the tax returns?  Do you still have the prior tax returns?  You don't need the prior programs to transfer from the prior year.  You just need the tax file.  Sounds like maybe just the desktop icon disappeared?  Did you check the whole directory for the programs?  

You need the file ending in .tax2020 to transfer into 2021.    Are you on Windows or Mac?  

The tax files (and PDF files) should be in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax subfolder. If you can't find them do a search for all files ending in .tax or .tax2020 or .tax2019, etc. And check the Recycle Bin. For Windows 10 check the One Drive. Did you make any backups? Like DropBox.

If you don't have the main .tax file you might have one that starts with a Tilde sign ~ like "~your name.tax2020". That file is if your computer crashes or your real file gets lost or deleted or corrupt so you can restore it.

Here's an idea. Do you still have 2020 installed? Try opening 2020 program and see if you can get your 2020 return to show up in it. Go to FILE - OPEN. And see if that is the right one.

Then in the 2020 program do a File-Save AS and give it a easy name you can find or search for. And note where it saves it or select where to save it so you can find it again. The file will end in .tax2020. Then close the 2020 program. Then start a new 2021 return and transfer from the 2020 file.

TO FIND 2020 TAX FILE

One user said….
When you install the program I recall it asks for Admin rights. So I logged off my account that I WAS in when I installed the program and logged in as administrator. I started TurboTax under the Admin account and my files were there. In the C:\Users\Admin\Documents folder. I NEVER USE THIS ACCOUNT!

I exited the program and account and went back in using my normal user ID. I then restarted the program by Right-Clicking the icon and selecting Run as Administrator. The files were there...made my day. I opened them and did a "Save As" to the file folder that has all my past returns and matches the User ID I was in when I set it up.

In short TurboTax is saving them in the default C:Drive Admin account document folder and if you are not starting as an Administrator they are invisible. Hope this helps.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies