turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

I was told to call back on July 31st to check the status of my injured spouse form. My form was mailed on May 2nd. So it's been gone for about 7 1/2 weeks

I did not file injured spouse for for 2018 or 2019 because we owed taxes. Can I amend my return or submit the injured spouse now for my half of the Economic Stimulus Payment?

@montereybutterfly 

I was in the same situation. My husband and I did not file an Injured Spouse Form in 2018 or 2019. It took awhile but I finally got through to the IRS last week. The guy told me to fill out form 8379 (Injured Spouse Form) just as if I were requesting my part of a tax refund that was withheld. Make sure to enter 2020 in line 1 (year for which you are filing this form). This lets them know it is for the stimulus payment. Leave everything in Part III blank but fill out all the rest.

He said it could take a couple of months before I finally get my money but that I should call back near the end of July to see if any information is available.

Good Luck

I just got off the phone with the IRS and she said to mail the Injured Spouse form 8479 and write "Stimulus Payment 2020' at the top.  To fill out the form, write the amount you supposed to get in the 'Payment' box and divide that amount between the injured spouse and the other spouse boxes.  In my case it was $1450, then $725 and $725.  Mail the form to:  IRS, 5045 East Butler Ave., Fresno, CA, 93727  ATTN: Spousal Unit 2020.  

Also, I noticed the Injured Spouse page on the IRS website has been updated to let us know we must file this form.

@ohio king i was given the same info when i called. sounds like they might finally know what they are talking about.

@ohio king 

Can you post the link to the IRS site where this new info is posted ? 

Oh great. Of course no one could tell me a thing when I tried contacting them so I filed the injured spouse but put 2019 and didn't write anything about stimulus on it. Does that mean I have to file another one?

Did you submit the injured spouse form previously and they want you to do it again? 

And FYI ... the injured spouse is form 8379  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8379.pdf   not 8479. 

@ohio king, but that's for those that did not file 8379 at all right? The IRS FAQ still says not to file anything if you already have filed with the return. 

@ohio king  I am not sure about that. The only thing I found on the IRS site regarding the injured spouse is the following:

Q. If I owe tax, or have a payment agreement with the IRS, or owe other federal or state debts or past-due child support, will my payment be reduced or offset? (updated May 8, 2020)

A35. No, with one exception. The Payment may have been offset only by past-due child support. The Bureau of the Fiscal Service will send you a notice if an offset occurs.

If you are married filing jointly and you filed an injured spouse claim with your 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if you haven’t filed your 2019 tax return), half of the total Payment will be sent to each spouse and your spouse’s Payment will be offset only for past-due child support. There is no need to file another injured spouse claim for the Payment.

The IRS is aware that in some instances a portion of the payment sent to a spouse who filed an injured spouse claim with his or her 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if no 2019 tax return has been filed) has been offset by the non-injured spouse’s past-due child support. The IRS is working with the Bureau of Fiscal Service and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Child Support Enforcement, to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. If you filed an injured spouse claim with your return and are impacted by this issue, you do not need to take any action. The injured spouse will receive their unpaid half of the total payment when the issue is resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Just got off the phone with the IRS after two hours....

Was told they just processed my injured spouse/return yesterday and once things update in there system it will have a payment date for my refund. (I filed in Feb. and sent my IS Form in e-file together)  As far a my stimulus that was offset due to my husbands CS debt she is hoping it will release my portion thats sitting in limbo.

If it doesn't she said I would have to claim it on next years return. So, now I wait and will keep and eye on my transcript because the WMR doesn't update when they manually process your IS Form.

Has anyone received their check yet? This is beyond annoying! And the number provided by the IRS to talk to someone is unhelpful because the reps can’t even access anyone’s personal information. They’re just there for info only. I want MY money that I am entitled to! 

Drie
Level 4

@ohio king  Omg when were they going to tell everyone that. They told us to not refile the form and that they are aware of the problem and will be fixing it. Does this pertains to everyone 🤦🏾‍♀️

Filed jointly by mistake, IRS already intercepted it, got the interception letter in late April after my taxes were filled in late March, no stimulus for myself and wife, oh by the way, I work and get SSDI, wife gets SSI, she doesn't work, filed out 8379, still waiting.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies