Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Independent or Dependent?

I'm 19 and a full time student. I live on campus until summer, then I come home, aka "temporary absence". I made over $4,300 this past year, 2019. I had survivors benefits until June, so about $6,000. Each survivors benefits check only gave me $180-200, and the rest was made to bills for the house and such, since I still lived here. So, did my mother technically provide half, or did I help? Am I independent? I paid for books and all payments and have no debts. My mother says she plans to let me claim myself, but can she still technically claim me, even if she chooses not to? Thanks. I just feel the situation is odd, and she keeps pushing me to do the rebate cover since the IRS told me back in August through a phone call that I was supposed to get a check because of Benefits, but maybe I didn't since I was still technically claimable, I guess. Plus, the "Get Payment Now" button always showed the error of "not enough info, or didn't qualify". So, I'm trying to see if I should be even filling out the rebate portion. Thanks so much. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Independent or Dependent?

you have to determine who provided over 1/2 of your support. if your mother, she gets to claim you. if you did you claim yourself and she shouldn't claim you. here's a worksheet to help you

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies