Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

depiazzy

ind 508 rejected. filing joint

i received the error message 508. my wife claimed our child on her tax return.  i removed our childs SSN from my return.  Turbo tax states afte 1 rejection i must mail it ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

No.  Once you correct the error that caused the rejection you can e-file the tax return again.

depiazzy

Ive tried with no luck. It scans it self and says everything looks good. Then i get a rejection next day or so

And the rejection code remains as IND-508?

The e-file rejection IND-508-01 means that the first person listed on the return (the primary taxpayer) was listed as the spouse or was used to claim the spouse exemption on another, previously filed tax return.

The primary Social Security number on the return must not be the same as the spouse's Social Security number used on a different tax return with either a filing status of:

• Married Filing Jointly, or
  • Married Filing Separately (with the spouse exemption claimed)

You will have to print and mail the tax return if this cannot be corrected.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to print and mail a tax return when using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/printers-printing/print-mail-return-turb...

depiazzy

Yes code remained ind 508. When reviewing my information should i remove my spouses SSN from my return although filing joint?

@depiazzy wrote:

Yes code remained ind 508. When reviewing my information should i remove my spouses SSN from my return although filing joint?

No, do not remove your spouse from your tax return.  You should be filing as Married Filing Jointly.  The issue is someone else filed a tax return with the SSN and it was received by the IRS so you will not be able to e-file.  Just print and mail your tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies