Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Incorrect allocation of interest on out-of-state bonds for state income tax

I have municipal bonds from both my state of residence and other states held in a brokerage account . The interest on the resident state bond is excluded in my state taxable income, but the interest from the other states is included as taxable income. Because 1099-INT Line 13 (Bond Premium on Tax-Exempt Bond) is imported from as a single number, and Turbotax interview doesn't ask for the allocation by state, Turbotax uses a shortcut to estimate the state allocation of Line 13 in the same proportion as 1099-INT Line 8 (Tax-Exempt Interest) that is reported by state in the interview.  The interview should ask for the allocation of Line 13 by state. The amounts in Line 13 affect the taxable interest on the municipal bonds. I have to manually override the figure in the Forms view to get the correct reported interest on out-of-state bonds. 

TURBOTAX, can you please fix this for 2024?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Incorrect allocation of interest on out-of-state bonds for state income tax

As an easier workaround, You could always take out those box 8 & 13 $$, just for the state(s) involved....and report them on a separate 1099-INT.   i.e, you home state on one form, and all the other states on a separate 1099-INT...with box 13 reported on whichever of the two it's needed. 

I Commonly do this anyhow for Muni bonds I purchase during the year, where I pay accrued interest to the seller, since a 1099-INT with box 1, 3 & 8 $$ on it, the accrued interest deduction will be applied wrongly if you don't move box 8 & 13 into its own 1099-INT form.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies