Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Inconsistent rounding in 1099-B

When I load my stock transactions, it rounds some of the numbers but not others (and then it always computes the gain/loss based on rounded numbers). It's inconsistent that some of them are not being rounded and others are though.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@amahesh 

I am trying to get the issue fixed on this linked thread. Still no response but I have summarized my basic point below. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/investments-and-rental-properties/discussion/re-turb[product key r...

To be as clear as possible so a TurboTax expert can forward to their technical team, 

In my 2019 TurboTax Produced Tax Return, Column H on Form 8949 was NOT ROUNDED. In my 2020 TurboTax Produced Tax Return (this year), Column H is Rounded.

The IRS guidance did not change between the two years so please fix it. Rounding every individual transaction on FORM 8949 produces large variances with what the broker sends the IRS on 1099-B for people with hundreds of transactions. Software should not be rounding this number.

Please contact me. I would love to discuss. I am a big TurboTax fan but this error makes the software unusable this tax season for people with a large number of transactions.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Technical is working on it. 

Stock is reported on Sch D. The IRS accepts only answers that are rounded. There is a discrepancy in rounding each entry versus adding all entries and then rounding. Importing information and TurboTax are working together to meet IRS requirements.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I understand numbers can be rounded but the IRS says that either you round all the numbers or none of them. My problem is that I see TurboTax is rounding some of my numbers but not others... When I try to reproduce it sometimes it rounds different sets of numbers now... It's pretty weird.

For instance, here is a screenshot of a part of my form... As you can see, some numbers are round (ending in .00) and some not (and the original numbers were not ending in .00).

Rounding.png

If I start over, now it's a bit more consistent... It's rounding everything that has an adjustment but it also rounds before computing the totals which shows weird results. For instance, one of my line says:

Proceeds: $135.73

Cost: $125.45

Gain/Loss: $11.00

When $135.73 - $125.45 is $10.28 which would really round to $10. Also, as said, all the lines with adjustments have every number rounded (which is still inconsistent). It should either round everything or nothing.

Because of per transaction rounding, the total gain for all transactions is less by few dollars than reported in 1099-B.  Is Turbo tax going to provide any fix to keep it consistent with imported 1099-B and round of the total instead of per transaction.. 

@amahesh 

I am trying to get the issue fixed on this linked thread. Still no response but I have summarized my basic point below. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/investments-and-rental-properties/discussion/re-turb[product key r...

To be as clear as possible so a TurboTax expert can forward to their technical team, 

In my 2019 TurboTax Produced Tax Return, Column H on Form 8949 was NOT ROUNDED. In my 2020 TurboTax Produced Tax Return (this year), Column H is Rounded.

The IRS guidance did not change between the two years so please fix it. Rounding every individual transaction on FORM 8949 produces large variances with what the broker sends the IRS on 1099-B for people with hundreds of transactions. Software should not be rounding this number.

Please contact me. I would love to discuss. I am a big TurboTax fan but this error makes the software unusable this tax season for people with a large number of transactions.

I have read all the posts concerning this issue and a response supposedly after contacting an Intuit professional. 

The IRS posts this statement on rounding in the instructions. A direct quote!

"If you have to add two or more amounts to figure the amount to enter on a line, include cents when adding the amounts and round off ONLY the total."

Rounding is allowed and has always been allowed and Turbo Tax has always followed the IRS procedure. I think Turbo Tax is an awesome product.  Someone please straighten this out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies