turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mchap2097

Income from sale of used goods

I've been selling items, mostly used albums and CDs, on EBay for about 3 years. I know that next year I'll get a 1099, and I grossed enough last year ($13,000) that I should be paying something. But I can't find information regarding how to determine my costs, or if I need to claim income on used goods. Can you help me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Income from sale of used goods

Yes.  If you are selling your own personal items and if you sell them for less than what you paid for them, a personal loss is not allowed to be used.  For these items there is nothing to report. Keep a record of everything you sell so that you have the detail if some of the money isn't required to be reported. The money transfer agents only know the money they sent to you.

The cost is what you actually paid for the items you are selling.  You may be able to find your original estimated costs by trying to search on various platforms. One example is the Goodwill Donation Guide.

If you are purchasing items and then reselling them for more than you paid for them this is always going to be a taxable event.  Depending on your situation it will be reported as an investment sale or self employment or hobby income.

You can decide if it is hobby or business income.  This IRS link will help you: Business or Hobby?

Key elements:

1. A hobby requires you to report the income you received and under the current tax law, Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), no expenses are allowed to be used to reduce the money collected even if you itemize deductions.
  2. A business allows you to deduct the costs necessary to obtain the income.  The law explains that 'you must be engaged in the activity to produce a profit'.  The test under IRS tax law is that you must show a profit three out of every five consecutive years to be considered a business.

Once you decide what type of income this is you can use the links below to see how to report.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies