Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ksaira310

In which box on the W2 form do I find the health insurance surcharge that my employer deducted from my wages?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

In which box on the W2 form do I find the health insurance surcharge that my employer deducted from my wages?

You can find the health insurance surcharge that your Employer deducted from your wages in Box 14 of your Form W2. However, the requirement for Employers to report this is still being transitioned in, so some Employers are still exempt from reporting this.

Normally any Medical Insurance paid through your Employer is "pre-tax" so you cannot deduct it on your Tax Return.  Pre-Tax means it has already been deducted from your wages reported in Box 1 of your W2.  This is why you cannot deduct the amount again on your Schedule A.

However, there are some rare instances where Employers withhold after-tax money to pay for your health insurance, so I highly recommend that you double check with your Employer.  If your medical insurance is paid with after-tax money, then you will be able to deduct it on your Schedule A.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies