Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sross222

In past years I have used the downloaded/installed turbotax. What are the pros/cons of switching to online? besides live help & access to tax forms directly

I have complex investments and in the past the installed version kept asking me to lookup numbers found on my previous years tax return even though it was already imported. Is the online version "smarter"?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

In past years I have used the downloaded/installed turbotax. What are the pros/cons of switching to online? besides live help & access to tax forms directly

The Online web version is only good for one account and one return. You can log in and access your return from any computer. You only can see the forms after you pay and download the pdf. And you might need to upgrade to a higher version to enter different kinds of income. There are 3 Online versions. And you can add LIVE service or Full Service for expert help. In Online the fees are to prepare the federal and state returns (State is a separate charge) whether you efile or print and mail. Efiling is free and included.

Desktop also has many other features and advantages over the Online version. You can do more than 1 return. You can see and enter into the actual forms. It has a What-If worksheet. And you can use a lower version because all the Desktop versions have ALL the same forms. You just get more help in the higher versions. In online you have to upgrade to enter certain kinds of income. Like Premium for investments.

And the Desktop program is always available even after the year ends. Which is good if you ever need to amend your return after online website is closed or get audited and need your tax records.

If you used the Desktop program last year here’s How to transfer into the Online version, expand the blue link if you used the CD/download last year

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

If you used the Desktop program before you may notice several differences and not like the online version.  It has less features and no Forms Mode.  You can only do 1 return.  Federal and state are separate fees.

Your return is only saved online so be sure to save both the .tax2023 data file and the pdf file to your computer when you are done.  In case you need to amend in the future or if you need a copy to get a loan or something.  You might not be able to access your online return when you need a copy.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies