Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brahmeyer

Why this year am I being charged for "Self Employed" when I am both W-2 AND 1099, but most my income is from W2? You never charged me extra fee before!

Very frustrating when I have almost no write-offs as a contractor, but I'm charged for the more expensive new product as if I really ran an entire small business!  Is there any way to wave a portion of that fee??
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why this year am I being charged for "Self Employed" when I am both W-2 AND 1099, but most my income is from W2? You never charged me extra fee before!

In past years, Deluxe would handle a 1099-MISC for self-employment if you had less than $100 (I think) of expenses.  It was changed this year so any expenses on a schedule C require the Self employed version.

If you don't want to deduct expenses at all, I think you still need to upgrade at least from Free to Deluxe to make a schedule C.  But you can try declining the upgrade and see if it allows you to report the income and not deduct expenses, or doesn't allow the income at all.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply

In past years, Deluxe would handle a 1099-MISC for self-employment if you had less than $100 (I think) of expenses.  It was changed this year so any expenses on a schedule C require the Self employed version.

If you don't want to deduct expenses at all, I think you still need to upgrade at least from Free to Deluxe to make a schedule C.  But you can try declining the upgrade and see if it allows you to report the income and not deduct expenses, or doesn't allow the income at all.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies