BTRR

When I put my 1099-MISC income on Sch C, I owe on Line 78. When I put my 1099-MISC income on Line 21, I get a refund on Line 75. How should I report 1099-MISC income?

I was a high school student from Jan - May.

I had a part-time, hourly job from May - August.  For this work, I received a 1099-MISC with my income listed in Box 7.  The company that paid me was not my business; I didn’t own the business; I just worked there for an hourly rate.

I was in the military from Sep - Dec.  For my military income, I received a W-2.

Should I report my 1099-MISC on Schedule C or on Line 21... which one?

Tonita

You would need to report your 1099-MISC using the instructions below:

• Go to Federal  > Wages & Income
  • Scroll down to the Other Common Income section
  • Click Start next to Form 1099-MISC
  • Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-MISC?

At the screen "Does one of these uncommon situations apply", select "None of these apply". If you answer all 3 of the next questions no; TurboTax treats it as other income rather than self employment.

•  No, didn't involve work like main job
  • Only got the income in 2017
  • It didn't involve an intent to earn money

Tonita

• Go to Federal  > Wages & Income
  • Click Start next to Form 1099-MISC

• Only got the income in 2017

BTRR

In my scenario (see my original question), did my part-time hourly work "involve work like my main job?" Yes or no?

Also, in my scenario, did my part-time hourly work "involve an intent to earn money?" Yes or no?
Tonita

You would answer No to both questions in order for the income to not be added as self-employment income.