turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BTRR
Level 3

When I put my 1099-MISC income on Sch C, I owe on Line 78. When I put my 1099-MISC income on Line 21, I get a refund on Line 75. How should I report 1099-MISC income?

I was a high school student from Jan - May.

I had a part-time, hourly job from May - August.  For this work, I received a 1099-MISC with my income listed in Box 7.  The company that paid me was not my business; I didn’t own the business; I just worked there for an hourly rate.

I was in the military from Sep - Dec.  For my military income, I received a W-2.

Should I report my 1099-MISC on Schedule C or on Line 21... which one?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When I put my 1099-MISC income on Sch C, I owe on Line 78. When I put my 1099-MISC income on Line 21, I get a refund on Line 75. How should I report 1099-MISC income?

You would need to report your 1099-MISC using the instructions below:

• Go to Federal  > Wages & Income
  • Scroll down to the Other Common Income section
  • Click Start next to Form 1099-MISC
  • Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-MISC?

At the screen "Does one of these uncommon situations apply", select "None of these apply". If you answer all 3 of the next questions no; TurboTax treats it as other income rather than self employment.

•  No, didn't involve work like main job
  • Only got the income in 2017
  • It didn't involve an intent to earn money

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You would need to report your 1099-MISC using the instructions below:

• Go to Federal  > Wages & Income
  • Scroll down to the Other Common Income section
  • Click Start next to Form 1099-MISC
  • Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-MISC?

At the screen "Does one of these uncommon situations apply", select "None of these apply". If you answer all 3 of the next questions no; TurboTax treats it as other income rather than self employment.

•  No, didn't involve work like main job
  • Only got the income in 2017
  • It didn't involve an intent to earn money

BTRR
Level 3

In my scenario (see my original question), did my part-time hourly work "involve work like my main job?" Yes or no?

Also, in my scenario, did my part-time hourly work "involve an intent to earn money?" Yes or no?

You would answer No to both questions in order for the income to not be added as self-employment income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies