Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In creating linked Schedule E, when it asks for a street address, would I be better off writing a recognizable name instead?

I downloaded a TXF file for a midstream PTP into TurboTax. Good.
In forms mode, I go into the K-1 with royalties, TurboTax has me link to a schedule E. I double-click the box, and it asks me to select an existing schedule E or to make a new one. All good so far. But when I create the new form, it asks me to enter the street address. I have wondered what that means. For naming a form, there are other terms that would be more recognizable to me in the list than the street address. But I have been doing as I was told.

I got to wondering. I did a temporary print of forms for filing. The street did not show up. I then tried all forms and important worksheets. The street address shows up, but that was the address that was brought in in the TXF file. It is more complete than the address I entered that was used as a form name.

Now to the question: does it matter if I enter something other than the street address as the form name? I expect not. My theory is this wording was chosen by somebody thinking of a landlord with properties, rather than somebody who bought shares in a publicly traded partnership (PTP).

One more funny (to me) thing: the K-1 royalties box had a $0 amount. TT still wanted linking to schedule E.

TIP: in https://www.taxpackagesupport.com, many of the PTPs can provide a TXF file. Click the 3 vertical dots ("kabob") to the right of where you click to get the PDF.  Not all info is in the TXF file, but what is downloaded gives you a good start.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieS
Expert Alumni

In creating linked Schedule E, when it asks for a street address, would I be better off writing a recognizable name instead?

Yes, that's right. Street address is used to identify rental properties, but it's permissible to use a good description instead. 

Just a general TurboTax tip: Don't enter zeros, even if they appear on the form, unless TurboTax says you have to enter a figure, even if it is zero.

If you didn't have a zero in for Royalties, you wouldn't need to link to a Schedule E. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, that's right. Street address is used to identify rental properties, but it's permissible to use a good description instead. 

Just a general TurboTax tip: Don't enter zeros, even if they appear on the form, unless TurboTax says you have to enter a figure, even if it is zero.

If you didn't have a zero in for Royalties, you wouldn't need to link to a Schedule E. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks. This is a case where the long-standing wording might best be revised to not confuse others, as I was for years.

Regarding the $0, that came in with the TXF file. I did try blanking that, but what I may or may not have done is  to blank the box, close the form, and then re-open the form.  No big deal for me now. I will  pay better attention in the future. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies