Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

meowmaulau
Returning Member

Importing last year's TurboTax file

Hi, I use a Mac.  I have used TurboTax for over a decade and don't recall having problems importing prior year's tax data to current year.  However, I don't seem to be able to import from 2022 Premier to 2023 Premier.  When asked to 'choose a TXF file' to import, all files are greyed out including last year's 'Filename.Tax2022 file and hence not selectable.  Anyone has thoughts about why that is?  Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Select your situation for tips to solve TurboTax Desktop for Mac issues.

Installation help

Updating help

I'm seeing TurboTax can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

transferring 2022 data to 2023 is not an import but a transfer function that must be done as you are starting the 2023 return. if not done at the proper time it can not be done. Import is for things like 1099-INT, 1099-R 1099-B, w-2 and other items. They are usually not a txf file but an electronic file that goes directly from the server into your return. Certain other forms like K-1s may be in the TXF format which must be downloaded to your computer and then imported. 

meowmaulau
Returning Member

Thanks Mike9241.  So how/where I find the Transfer function?  I feel horrible I'm not remembering how I did it last year or prior years.  Do I have to be in EasyStep or Forms?

I’m having the exact same problem, I can’t import last year’s formed and info!

In all previous years, there was a clear option to import last years data 

meowmaulau
Returning Member

EastonRandy, I got it figured out.  Start a 2023 return, go to EasyStep.  In the lower half of the 'Welcome to TurboTax' screen, there are several options one of which is 'Open a Different Return' which allows you to choose last year's return to transfer data from. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies