turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mel_mel

Im a HerbaLife distributor & use the product myself to show clients/potential clients how they work.Can I write this off? & under what category inventory or advertisement

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Im a HerbaLife distributor & use the product myself to show clients/potential clients how they work.Can I write this off? & under what category inventory or advertisement

Sorry but product used  personally is not deductible ... all you get is a cheaper way to buy the product you use.  In fact you must remove the product used personally from the inventory figures on the Sch C.

Now if you use up some product in a demonstration fashion (like avon sellers will have demo product for buyers to try on)  or give some away like a loss leader or gift   that would be different.  

mel_mel

I’m using it as a way to market the product. Most people won’t buy a wellness product unless they see someone actually getting results on them would that still not count as any form of business deduction?

Again you are using it personally ... this is no different than you wearing a pair of shoes to show people how good they look & fit ... so unless you lend them a pair to test drive you cannot use that as a deduction.
mel_mel

Ok makes sense. How about products used at shake parties? Or events that were not sold but given out to sample

Sample and testing products used at demonstrations can be either supplies or advertising.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies