Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IL State tax return rejected, unable to edit AGI

I tried to e-file my federal and IL state tax returns yesterday. The federal return was initially rejected because "the 2019 AGI did not match what the IRS had on file". State return was also rejected since the federal return was rejected. I checked that the 2019 AGI was correct, and since it was, I entered 0 in the federal return and re-filed. This time the federal return was rejected.

Now, the state return is still being rejected. When I click the 'fix my return' button, it takes me to a page that explains the error, but does not give me any option to edit what I have entered. I click continue, it tells me the return is 'ready to file', and if I click 'revisit' it just takes me back to the same screen where I can't edit.

Does anybody know how to fix this? If not is it possible to file the state return by mail but not the federal return? I don't see any way to printe the IL return.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Illinois starts with federal income. The state will reject your return until your federal return is accepted. Once the IRS accepts your return, you can re-file Illinois.

If the IRS is rejecting your return and you believe your AGI is correct, get a transcript from the IRS. It will show the AGI the IRS has on file for you. It may be different due to an IRS adjustment.

You can obtain an IRS transcript at Welcome to Get Transcript.

If the AGI on the IRS transcript matches the AGI you have been using, there's a system issue at the IRS and you will have to file by mail.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello. My federal return has been accepted now. I've tried to refile twice since it was accepted, and I am still getting a rejection with this explanation that my AGI does not match.

Thanks for sharing the information on how to check my AGI, but the issue is that I am not able to edit the AGI in Turbotax. There seems to be some kind of bug where it just explains my error, but does not give me any way to change it. When I click 'revisit' i just keep seeing the same description of the error.

Do you know how to edit the AGI?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies