turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aah412

If i have a offset for student loans and my return is greater then my offset will i receive the difference back once i file or will irs keep my full return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyT

If i have a offset for student loans and my return is greater then my offset will i receive the difference back once i file or will irs keep my full return?

If your income tax refund is larger than any obligations that can be taken directly from it (student loans, etc.), you should receive the remainder of your refund.

Generally, when there is an offset to your refund, you will receive a letter from the IRS explaining that the funds will be applied to your student loans and telling you how much your refund will be after this adjustment.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmyT

If your income tax refund is larger than any obligations that can be taken directly from it (student loans, etc.), you should receive the remainder of your refund.

Generally, when there is an offset to your refund, you will receive a letter from the IRS explaining that the funds will be applied to your student loans and telling you how much your refund will be after this adjustment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies