turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My dependent daughter is in college. She filed claiming no dependents but did file form 8863. The IRS is rejecting my return saying we can't both file that form. She can't get the full credit but I can. Can hers be amended so I can file it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

My dependent daughter is in college. She filed claiming no dependents but did file form 8863. The IRS is rejecting my return saying we can't both file that form. She can't get the full credit but I can. Can hers be amended so I can file it?

If your daughter is your dependent, you only can claim her education expenses.

Your daughter should now amend her return to withdraw her education expenses. She also has to indicate that she is claimed as a dependent by someone else.

The IRS will take 12 to 16 weeks to process her amended return and in the meantime, you cannot e-file. The best solution for you is to file your return by mail by printing out your return and sending it to the address shown on the TurboTax cover page.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If your daughter is your dependent, you only can claim her education expenses.

Your daughter should now amend her return to withdraw her education expenses. She also has to indicate that she is claimed as a dependent by someone else.

The IRS will take 12 to 16 weeks to process her amended return and in the meantime, you cannot e-file. The best solution for you is to file your return by mail by printing out your return and sending it to the address shown on the TurboTax cover page.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies