Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son was born 09/15/2017 and I was claiming him on my 2017 federal tax return and it keeps saying his SSN is invalid?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

My son was born 09/15/2017 and I was claiming him on my 2017 federal tax return and it keeps saying his SSN is invalid?

If you just recently received your Son's Social Security Card very recently, the Social Security Administration (SSA) may not have updated this information to the IRS yet.  Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a while for the new records to be transferred from SSA to the IRS.

I would suggest double checking his Social Security Number on your tax return while having his actual Social Security Card right in front of you for verification.  If you confirm the information on your tax return is correct, you probably just need to give it some more time for the information to be transferred.  You can also contact SSA to make sure there are no issues on their end. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

If you just recently received your Son's Social Security Card very recently, the Social Security Administration (SSA) may not have updated this information to the IRS yet.  Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a while for the new records to be transferred from SSA to the IRS.

I would suggest double checking his Social Security Number on your tax return while having his actual Social Security Card right in front of you for verification.  If you confirm the information on your tax return is correct, you probably just need to give it some more time for the information to be transferred.  You can also contact SSA to make sure there are no issues on their end. 

How long does it usually take for the IRS to update his SSN into there system? And if it takes to long and goes past the filing deadline what do I do? Should I paper file?
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Normally, the process takes only a couple of weeks for the IRS to update the records to SSA.  At this point, since it is so early in the filing season, I would suggest you hold off on paper filing and try to E-file again in about a week.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies