Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aelopez

I've been a single mom for over 16 years. I got married in September of 2016. Should I file my taxes by myself or jointly with my husband?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

I've been a single mom for over 16 years. I got married in September of 2016. Should I file my taxes by myself or jointly with my husband?

If you are married on the last day of the year, the IRS considers you married for the whole tax year. Your filing status choices are Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.

In most cases it is better for a married couple to choose Married Filing Jointly filing status, even if one spouse had little or no income. This gives you the advantage of the higher Standard Deduction and allows you the possibility of claiming several tax credits that are disallowed to Married Filing Separately filers.

For more information, please see IRS Pub. 501 Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

If you are married on the last day of the year, the IRS considers you married for the whole tax year. Your filing status choices are Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.

In most cases it is better for a married couple to choose Married Filing Jointly filing status, even if one spouse had little or no income. This gives you the advantage of the higher Standard Deduction and allows you the possibility of claiming several tax credits that are disallowed to Married Filing Separately filers.

For more information, please see IRS Pub. 501 Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies