Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter 1099-MISC royalty (Box 2) income from a hobby in TurboTax 2018 without creating a Schedule C?

I received a 1099-MISC for a small amount of songwriting royalties (for songs I wrote, not purchased as an investment). Entering the 1099-MISC in TurboTax 2018 results in creation of a Schedule C.  However, my overall music "business" was treated as a hobby in 2018 due to no attempt to make a profit (and a big loss if treated that way), with my main income being from a W-2 job. In the past, the IRS advised, due to the lack of profit motive, this should go on a line 21 of the 1040.  However, that line appears to be something totally different for 2018. Is there a way to enter this elsewhere, without creation of the Schedule C since there is no business here?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

How do I enter 1099-MISC royalty (Box 2) income from a hobby in TurboTax 2018 without creating a Schedule C?

If you are going to do as you have in the past and report it as - Other Income (formerly line 21), you can still do that.  Line 21, Other Income is still there, it has just been moved to Schedule 1 (line 8).   To report the amount there, enter it under Less Common Income (last income section), Miscellaneous (last in the list).  Then choose Hobby Income and Expenses.  

[Edited 04/8/20 to update for current tax year]

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

If you are going to do as you have in the past and report it as - Other Income (formerly line 21), you can still do that.  Line 21, Other Income is still there, it has just been moved to Schedule 1 (line 8).   To report the amount there, enter it under Less Common Income (last income section), Miscellaneous (last in the list).  Then choose Hobby Income and Expenses.  

[Edited 04/8/20 to update for current tax year]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies