It depends on if your injured spouse claim has been approved. If it hasn't, both of the stimulus payments are subject to garnishment.
Rebates will not be subject to garnishment, except if back child support is owed.
I file IS every year with my taxes on TurboTax. They took all $2400 of our stimulus money for his back child support. Now I am reading I need to file an IS Form to get back my stimulus money. Is there a way to file that on here?
Yes, you can file an amended return with turbo tax to include a 8379 form, which is the injured spouse form. To amend.
- Sign in to TurboTax.
- Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
- Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
- Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
- Once you are in your amend section go to your left navigational pane in your return. Go to tax tools>tools>topic search>type in 8379. This is where you will prepare your injured spouse form.
- When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return as amendments can't be e-filed.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I sent in an additional IS Form marked Stimulus Payment to the IRS only because news stations are telling us to do that. A lady on one of the FB groups about this said she had a reliable source tell her they would automatically return the money to spouses & children on May 15. I am hoping she is right. But I am not taking any chances. I mailed that form anyway.
I was supposed to get ours (2 adults, 4 children so 4200) on April 15th. Not in bank. Completed tax return with injured spouse form in February. Treasury dept recording says that all 4200 will be offset to child support. I guess I’ll send again for stimulus since you did that too. Did you just print your 2019 one and send it or fill out a new one for 2020??
I filled it out like it pertained to the Stimulus Money....And put that on top of the form. Someone on FB said they were going to refund the spouses & children's money on May 15. They said they had a reliable source. But I am going to do everything I can to make sure.
Well yall I went to the get my payment thing on the IRS web page today just to check my husband status and it asked for direct deposit info then for **bleep**s and giggles I put in mine and its telling me to do the same thing we fill together with the IS tell me what in the world is going????
I just went online and printed another one and filled it out again I wrote and the top stimulus and on the envelope outside. I did receive a letter from dept of treasury today and it says on there to file the injured spouse form and mail it it also said it can take up to 8 weeks to process.